This blog is brought to you by the Virginia Department of Historic Resources as a place for citizens who care for, and about Virginia's historic cemeteries. Here you will find information on workshops, cemetery preservation, and other resources. For more information about the Department of Historic Resources, visit http://www.dhr.virginia.gov/.
Material on this site is copyrighted by the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (2014).
Monday, November 8, 2010
Note: Marking a family cemetery on this Google map does not ensure that the cemetery is recorded in DHR's Archives. For official recording, use the Citizen Cemetery Recordation Form and submit it to DHR Archives.
View Historic Family Cemeteries in Virginia in a larger map
Wednesday, October 6, 2010
Location: Sinking Springs Cemetery, Abingdon, VA 24210
Register early! Spaces fill up quickly. Registration Fee is $25 for Friday only or $40 for both days. Saturday’s hands-on training is limited to 25 participants. Deadline for registration is October 29, 2010. No refunds after October 15, 2010. The Saturday workshop will be held rain or shine.
For registration information, please contact Dee DeRoche at (804) 367-2323 ext. 134.
Tuesday, September 28, 2010
Thursday, September 23, 2010
Monday, September 13, 2010
|Condition Issues and Conservation with Caitlin O'Grady|
Friday morning, September 10, 2010 VMNH Classrooms
Elizabeth Moore (Moderator)
Click on the links above to view slide shows from selected presentations.
Thursday, May 27, 2010
Lecture topics include: Researching and Recording Historic Cemeteries, Cleaning and Conservation of Funerary Monuments, Mortuary Archaeology, Funerary Symbolism, Genealogy, and Virginia Burial Law
Each speaker will be followed by 10 minutes of questions.
• 10:00 – 10:10 am Introduction. Mike Barber, State Archaeologist, Department of Historic Resources
• 10:10 am – 10:40 am Gone but not Forgotten: Genealogical Research using Cemetery Records. Dawn K. Tinnell, Research Archivist, Library of Virginia
• 10:40 am – 11:10 am Burial Laws in Virginia and the United States. Joanna Wilson Green, Easement Program Archaeologist, Department of Historic Resources
• 11:10 – 11:40 am Graveyard Archaeology. Dane Magoon, Archaeologist, Cultural Resources, Inc.
• 11:40 am – 12:10 pm Cemetery Iconography and Funerary Symbolism. Joanna Wilson Green, Easement Program Archaeologist, Department of Historic Resources
• 1:00 – 1:30 pm Cemetery Conservation and Documentation: What to Do and What to Avoid. Caitlin O’Grady, Conservator, Department of Historic Resources
• 1:30 – 2:00 pm DHR Cemetery Form. Jolene Smith, Archaeology Inventory Manager / DSS Accounts Manager, Department of Historic Resources
• 2:00 – 2:30 pm Intensive Surface Investigations to Locate Graves and Markers. Patrick O’Neill, President, Archeological Society of Virginia
• 2:30 – 3:00 pm Final Discussion. Mike Barber, State Archaeologist, Department of Historic Resources